Fourth and Fifth Generations Involved at O&W, Inc.
Pictured from left to right:
Cooper Wanty, Isabel Wanty, Doug Wanty, Jim Wanty, Kit Wanty-Lambert, and Jamie Brooks.
5 Generations of Family
O&W Inc. began in 1917 when William Seagert owned a Tavern in Ann Arbor. Though the Tavern was named the Union Bar during his ownership today it still exists at the same location as the Old Town. During this time of prohibition, Seagert would haul truck loads of Near Beer and Birch Beer (soft drink similar to yet distinct from root beer) from the Stroh Brewery Company in Detroit for his own use and distribute the rest to taverns in the Ann Arbor area and as far west as Chelsea. At the repeal of Prohibition, William Seagert decided to continue running the family tavern in Ann Arbor, and passed the distributorship to his son-in-law, James O’Kane.
With the repeal of Prohibition the Three Tier System was established: Manufacturer, Distributor and Retailer. James J. O’Kane was a pioneer in the Distribution segment working out of a garage on Depot Street and then moving to a warehouse on 4th Avenue in Ann Arbor. His son-in-law, Hugh Wanty, joined the firm in 1948 to start the third generation of the business. Mr. O’Kane and Mr. Wanty moved the growing business and purchased a warehouse on Jackson Road west of Ann Arbor in 1954. In 1956 O’Kane and Wanty incorporated creating the company name O & W, Inc. still in use today.
In the early 1960’s Hugh Wanty began his legacy by looking for ways to make the business more efficient and profitable. He began by acquiring the Goebel Distributor in 1962 then integrated a wine business to make the operation flow on a more seasonal basis. His biggest leap occurred with the purchase of the Miller Brewing Company distributor in 1967. Hugh’s son Jim joined the business full time in 1972 and son Douglas joined the business in 1983 to complete the fourth generation.
With Hugh’s retirement in 1990 his son’s Jim and Doug Wanty assumed the reins and in 1998, purchased the Miller distributor in western Wayne and Monroe Counties. This purchase tripled the current business while expanding the O & W, Inc. territory eastward. In 2003, a new more centralized warehouse was built moving O&W to Ypsilanti then added on to in 2012 with a totaling 135,000sq ft., 65,000sq ft. of beer floor space and 12,500sq ft. of cooler space.
O&W purchased the overlapping Coors Distributor in Wayne County in 2011 creating a consolidated MillerCoors house in Wayne County. March 2013, O&W acquired another distributor growing their market share in their home market while adding new selling territory in Jackson, Hillsdale and Lenawee Counties. One month later, another distributor in Monroe, Michigan, was also purchased. With this latest purchase, O&W, now delivers close to five million cases of beer annually to seven counties and employs over 170 people.
Jim's daughter, Kit Wanty-Lambert, Executive VP and Queen Bee of O&W since 2000. Jamie Brooks, Jim's third daughter joined O&W in 2009. Jamie now is the Director of Communications.
As of June 1, 2015, Jim has passed the torch of Presidency to his brother, Doug. Congratulations Doug!
In the summer of 2016, Cooper Wanty, Doug's son, joined the business and is working in the Reset Department as a Space Analyst. Also in 2016, O&W purchased Anderson Distributing, consolidating our whole territory with the MillerCoors network, and filling out the rest of our portfolio with the remaining brands we carry. Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale carry the largest portfolio of brands now.
This year in 2017 we celebrate 100 years of our family being in the beer business and can't wait to keep bringing new brands, expanding our family and selling beer to our valued customers! In the Summer of 2018, Isabel Wanty has joined the business and heads the Human Resources Department.